Saturday, October 31, 2009

Repetition is a downward spiral

We all know that the reality of news coverage is that most news bulletins run through the same few monopolies of news organisations so I thought it interesting when I found these sites, Project Censored informing on the news that was not mentioned through the big agencies. Closely aligned to Media Freedom International based in the US, it covers everything from politics to Facebook.

I forget how often I simply type in my news source into the address bar, I take it for granted that I have this amazing research tool right at my finger tips. Countless times I have surfed through the familiar to me news sites and re-read a story so many times it feels like I was there. News has become repetitive, which is a huge problem, it implies laziness, there is more than one story out there. Sites like Project Censored are particularly good for this sort of reality check on what we read and listen to.

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I looked at Project Censored, but it always makes for good, if sobering reading.

    Indeed, it's easy enough to visit The Age's website and feel like you're keeping up with the news. And you are getting a sample. But there is always a lot more going on in the world than any one source will tell you about. Like anyone, sometimes I get lazy, and one can't expect to read everything when busy with Uni, work and life. But it's always good, when we get the chance, to read widely from different sources, from different countries and to go beyond corporate mass media to alternative media and to bloggers, to find and compare news and opinion and then spread the word. And discuss and then act.

    Project Censored is great for all of that. And in some tiny way, maybe blogs like yours are too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks Duncan. I think there was quite a few interesting blogs this semester. It was a good read a lot of the time, and a varied one too. We covered so much ground I think.

    ReplyDelete